11.06.2010

Treasures!

Hubby and I spent the day at some really great fibery events, starting in Ventura and ending in Santa Monica, with a side trip to Torrance (where I'll be again tomorrow, helping Lois sell at the weaver's show and sale - come join us!)

I've been hearing
for over a month about a former weaving shop owner's estate sale in Ventura. I don't need anything, so hadn't planned on going - but curiosity got the better of me after one of my buddies was invited to help with the pricing and came to spin night Thursday with tales of treasure. Hubby and I were standing in line when the doors opened at 9 this morning. Not only did I find some good things, hubby got a Stanley plane (he collects them) and some leather-working tools.

I brought home some wood weaving tools (I'm a sucker for nice wood, especially walnut),
over 6 pounds of blue rug yarn for $8 (planning to make a crochet felted rug), another 1.5 pounds of orange rug yarn ($2), a yarn winder ($12! couldn't pass it up), a handwoven table runner and a handwoven Christmas towel. The towel is nice and thick; can't wait to put it out this holiday season.Then it was on to Torrance for the bobbin lacers show and sale. Although they had only one vendor this year, I was hoping to find some slightly used equipment at a reasonable price. And I did! Lucked into the Flemish-style pillow for under $100 (they can go for double that when new), a zippered pouch with interior pockets for holding bobbins and small tools, and some small tools - all in pretty woods that will be as nice to look at as they are to use.

We finished up the day at the Contemporary Crafts Market in Santa Monica. Didn't buy anything - although it was filled with beautiful, unique hand-made items - but did have a chance to wear my Deb Jarchow original while visiting her booth.
I love this thing!

0 comments: