2.22.2009

Ruffled Hexagon Baby Jacket

Hexagon Baby Jacket with Ruffles
Elisa’s Version – 9 to 12 month size
Copyright February 2009
My version of this cute jacket was inspired by Bev's Hexagon Baby Jacket; which, in turn, was inspired by one posted on Tina's blog. There's even a 'filled-in' version here.

In addition to increasing the size, I added a stand-up collar, and put ruffles at the cuffs and hem for a more feminine look. The jacket's dimensions are easily customized by changing yarn and/or hook size. For example, the newborn size uses DK weight yarn and an "F" hook; Bev's 3-6 month size uses a soft 4-ply worsted yarn and a "G" hook; my version uses worsted weight yarn with an "I" hook. Enjoy!

Materials for 9-12 Month Size Jacket:
  • 2 colors worsted weight yarn (such as Lion Brand Wool-Ease or Plymouth Encore); approx 200 yd each.
  • Size “I” hook
Jacket Measurements:
  • Underarm to cuff = 7”
  • Shoulder to bottom of jacket = 12”
  • Across jacket under arm front = 10 ½"

Start Hexagon (make 2): Ch 4, join to make a ring.


Rnd 1:
  • Ch 3, (counts as first dc), 2 dc inside ring.
  • *Ch 2, 3 dc in ring.
  • Repeat from * 5 times. (for total of 6 groups of 3dc.)
  • Ch 2, join with slip stitch to 3rd ch of beginning ch3.
Rnd 2:
  • Slip stitch in next stitch and into ch 2 space.
  • Ch 3, 2 dc in same space. Ch 2, 3 dc in same space.
  • *Ch 1, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in next ch 2 space. Repeat from * 5 times. (for total of 6 groups of 3dc, ch2, 3dc)
  • Ch 1, join with slip stitch to 3rd ch of beginning ch3.
Rnd 3:
  • Slip stitch in next stitch and into ch 2 space.
  • Ch 3, 2 dc in same space.Ch 2, 3 dc in same space.
  • *Ch 1, 3 dc in next ch 1 space.
  • Ch 1, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in next corner.
  • Repeat from * 5 times around.
  • Ch 2, join with slip stitch to 3rd ch of beginning ch3.
Rnd 4: Change to contrast color for stripe
  • Slip stitch in next stitch and into ch 2 space.
  • Ch 3, 2 dc in same space.Ch 2, 3 dc in same space.
  • *Ch 1, 3 dc in next ch 1 space.
  • Ch 1 (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in next corner space.
  • Repeat from * 4 more times.
  • Ch 2, join with slip stitch to 3rd ch of beginning ch3.
Rnd 5:
  • With main color, repeat pattern established in Rnd 4. (Photo shows second color change on Rnd 8 & 9, with return to main color on Rnd 10)
Rnd 6-10: Change back to main color
  • Repeat pattern established in Rnd 4. (I added a second color change on Rnds 8 & 9, returning to the main color on Rnd 10)
Fasten off. Weave in ends.


Sew Hexagons Together:

  • Fold hexagons to form 2 sides of the jacket (see photo); fasten top seam with stitch markers to hold in place.
  • Holding back pieces with right sides together and working through outside loops of stitches only, sew two halves together at back seam. (see photo)
  • Working in outside loops only, stitch shoulder seams across top of jacket from cuff to third 3dc-group from front neck edge. Repeat for second shoulder.
How interior seam should look

How exterior seam should look

Cuffs:
Rnd 1:
  • Using contrast yarn, join with slip stitch anywhere on cuff edge.
  • Ch1, sc in same stitch;
  • sc in each stitch and chain-1 space around.
  • Join with slip stitch to beginning slip stitch.
Rnd 2:
  • Ch1, sc in same stitch.
  • Sc2tog around. (See Stitch Guide)
  • Join with slip stitch in first sc.
Rnd 3:
  • Ch2, hdc in same stitch and each stitch around.
Rnd 4:
  • Repeat Rnd 3.
Rnd 5:
  • Working in the back loop only for this entire row, ch 4,
  • (dc, ch 1, dc, ch 1) in same stitch as join.
  • *(Dc, ch 1, dc, ch 1, dc, ch 1) in next stitch.
  • Repeat from * around.
  • Join with a slip stitch in 3rd chain of beginning ch 4. Fasten off.
Repeat for second cuff.

Sweater Edging:
  • Join contrast color with slip stitch in center back of jacket.
  • Sc in each stitch and space along bottom edge,
  • *(2 sc, ch 2, 2 sc) at corner,sc in each stitch and space along front edge*,
  • (2 sc, ch 2, 2 sc) at corner,
  • sc in each stitch only (not in space between 3dc clusters) around neck
  • repeat from * to *.
  • Slip stitch in first sc. Fasten off.
Bottom Edge of Jacket:
Rnd 1:
  • With right side facing you and bottom of sweater facing up, join yarn in right corner on bottom of sweater.
  • Ch 2, hdc in same stitch and each stitch across. Ch 2, turn.
Rnd 2:
  • Repeat Rnd 1.
Rnd 3:
  • Working in the back loop only, ch 4,
  • (dc, ch 1, dc, ch 1) in same stitch as join.
  • *(Dc, ch 1, dc, ch 1, dc, ch 1) in next stitch.
  • Repeat from * around.
  • Join with a slip stitch in 3rd chain of beginning ch 4. Fasten off.

Button Band and Neck:
Rnd 1:
  • With wrong side facing, join yarn in bottom corner of left front.
  • Ch 2, hdc in same stitch and each stitch up right front – with (hdc, ch1, hdc) in center corner stitch - around neck, to right front corner.
  • Work corner, then hdc in next 2 stitches, ch 3, skip 3 sc*, repeat from * to * twice more (total of 3 buttonholes),
  • hdc to end of row (do not hdc in side of ruffle).
  • Ch 1, turn.
Rnd 2:
  • Sc in each stitch around, working 3 sc in each ch3 space and (sc, ch1, sc) in each corner.
Fasten off. Weave in ends. Sew on buttons. Enjoy!

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVE this. Thanks so much for posting the pattern.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful jacket./ I can't wait to try it. Thanks for posting the pattern.
Diana

Sara said...

What a beautiful jacket! I'm bookmarking your blog so I can come back and try this pattern out. That is, if I ever complete the 10+ projects I have started already!
Your photographs are well done and that baby is too cute!

skybriscoe said...

LOVE THIS PATTERN!!! i would love to make one for my daughter but my little one is 3 1/2 years old....wondered how you think i could make it in a larger size. should i just keep going round and round until i get the desired size? tell me your thoughts! thanks!

Elisa said...

I think it would be pretty easy to make this a bigger size. For this one, I measured the baby's arm length (from her backbone to her wrist) and around her stomach (which is her widest area.)

When making the jacket, I made sure the arm was long enough (fold the hexagon as pictured and measure one long side; remember the cuff will add an inch or more to the length) and the tummy (again, fold the hexagon as pictured and measure from the center seam to the folded side edge; you'll double this figure to get the width. You can widen the button band if you need a little more room.)

Hope this helps!

Sharon Marie said...

This is beautiful. Thank you for posting the pattern. I don't have anyone to make it for but in the future I'm sure there will be someone.

Anonymous said...

Holy crochet-agami! You are so creative!

saritha said...

thank u soo much for this lovely pattern...i have started to make one for my lil one...thanks a lots...great job!!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Profª Elisa Olimpio said...

Here from Brazil, your baby jacket is a great pattern!! Congratulations and thank you to share with us

Anonymous said...

Elisa, I have decided to make this sweater for a friends baby. My issue is this. when i got to round 3 it says to do 3dc in the chain 2 space. I dont think you ment that. Dont you mean do a 3dc in the chain 1 sp, between the 3dc ch2 3dc space? or am i missing something. Elizabeth

Elisa said...

Elizabeth, you are correct; the pattern has been corrected to say 'chain 1' space. I've changed this a couple of times but for some reason it doesn't 'stick'. Hopefully it will this time.

Sheene said...

love love love this jacket! thanks for coming up with a girl version! thanks so much for sharing!

Anonymous said...

My only question was about the bottom edge of the jacket. In round 3 the last step is to "join with a sl st in 3rd chain of beginning of chain 4, then fasten off."

Why would you be joining it for an open front?

Barbara said...

Hello, I really like this pattern and I wanted to do for a child two years. I already have a number 4.00mm crochet and blue cotton, as you advise me to do? Is enough if you believe at your own pattern only increase the rows? Thank you for your attention, see you soon Barbara

Unknown said...

A friend of mine made this and it was beautiful!! I just wanted to clarify that the printed directions are for the newborn?

Elisa said...

Hi Sandra, the written directions are for all sizes. The size of your finished jacket depends on what yarn and hook you use. For newborn, I used baby yarn and a "G" hook. For 9-12 months, I used worsted and an "I" hook. Hope this helps.

Barb Jackson said...

I have two greatgrand daugthers age 2 and 4. I can hardly wait to make this cute litte jacket for them. Thank u so much.

Anonymous said...

So far so good! I'm working on one of these for my newborn niece to wear this winter when it starts to get sharply cold up in Chicago where she lives.

Because of my yarn choice (stash yarn), I'm piecing all the available patterns (yours, Bev's, Tina's, and watching the vids) together to get the size & look I want....It's all seamed up and ready for edging. I'm totally enamored with making this sweater.

What I came to say, though, is that I think I found a typo in the button band section of your pattern. I could be mistaken, but I think you're missing the first * when it says to repeat from *to* for the button holes.

Not sure what I'm going to do for the edging just yet, but the chest/waist of the sweater are already wide enough + extra room, even without the edging. Then the sleeves need an extra 1-2 inches each. Guess I'll be wingin' it....free like a bird! I'm thinking of something more picot-like, although I do like the look of your ruffles.

Anyhow, just wanted to drop a line about that missing *

Excellent pattern writing. You've been a help in me getting mine done, so endless thanks for that :)

--jenny

carolen's chocolate creations said...

I love this thank you for posting the pattern it worked up very nicely
thanks again.

babsee said...

This is so gorgeous. I have made two now. And you made the pattern so easy to follow. thank q

mitu said...

I tried this pattern too. thanks