2.27.2024

Embroidery Quilt

 You ever look at an ad and say, ‘wow! I gotta have that!’?

It doesn’t happen to me often, especially since an awful lot of FB and (to a lesser degree) Instagram ads seem to be straight up scams these days, but I took one look at this and was in love. (Link to Missouri Star)

I learned to do embroidery and needlework from my mom when I was a kid, even before I learned to crochet. (I only started to quilt about 11 years ago, in comparison.)

A crib sheet I stitched when Rachel was born (here)

I’ve done it on and off over the decades years. 

Elvis Liberace!

The last big bouts were in 2006 when African embroidery was big with the spinning/weaving guild and I did several pieces, (here and here)

and around 2014 

with some French General prints I never completed. (Hmmm, maybe I can finish these at the same time …)

At first glance - the kit arrived today - I’m impressed with the quality. 

A strong, solid cardboard outer box protects the pretty hexagon tin

filled with thread, wood hoop, notions (including small scissors and a magnetic needle minder),

and my favorite part - peel and stick patterns that wash away when you’re done stitching. I know it shouldn’t be a big deal, but I’ve never liked having to trace designs before I can start playing with pretty colors and new stitches. Why yes, I am impatient and a smidge lazy…


I also bought the fabric kit because… impatient! I was going to try to talk somebody into doing this project with me (anybody want to ???) but MSQ is already sold out of the kits and they may not be back in stock until July! So glad I didn’t put off buying this like I started to do. This’ll be my TV stitching for the next few months. 


1 comments:

Tanya said...

I bought the kit but no fabric :). so excited to get it tomorrow. I wasn’t sure I was up for a quilt but maybe some pillows, or on clothing, or ??