11.17.2021

Organizing Bug

Want to see why we made Saturday’s IKEA run? Other than just for the fun of it?


Last week I had the bright idea to repurpose my catch-all-the-junk counter space into fabric storage with IKEA Kallax bookcases. My thought was that if the fabric was more visible/organized, I’d be more likely to shop the stash before the stores.


Hubby had the shelves built and in place this morning, so I spent most of the afternoon and evening folding fabric onto Mini Bolts*- complete with fabric length and (if I remember to fold it right) visible selvedge info -

 
and loading up the 13x13” cubes. 

 The invisible Donovan

Everything over 3/4 yard is on the shelves by color - and the color order will likely change when Jac makes me put them in ‘rainbow order’. Fat quarters are in the small gray boxes on top and scraps will go in big plastic bins. 

Tula Pink has her own shelf, *of course*, as do current projects (bottom right) and backing fabric (top left), although backing fabric will probably move upstairs, along with holiday fabrics.


And speaking of upstairs, what’s on these shelves is just what was currently in my craft room. I haven’t even started on ‘upstairs’ yet. But isn’t it pretty?? And now that my tables are cleared, it’ll be so much easier to turn all that ‘pretty’ into finished projects. 

* A lot of quilters use comic book boards rather than Mini Bolts, but they just aren’t strong enough and bend too easily IMO. Mini Bolts and bolt clips are pricey but I’m hoping to use and re-use them for years. 

0 comments: