11.23.2020

Snow Globes and Christmas Carols

I usually wait until after Thanksgiving to break out the holiday music, but 2020 has been so awful weird I’m starting Christmas early. 


And with the gift quilts done and gone, it’s time to make snow globes for our house*.

I’m using this pattern as my guide. 


I struggle with keeping snowballed blocks square,


so I’m making mine bigger - starting with 5” fussy cut squares -


and trimming the finished block down to the required 4.5”. 


I’m also using the tried and true - but much slower - method of drawing a line corner-to-corner on each snowball before attaching it. 


Whenever I think how much faster it would be to skip this part, I remind myself how much NOT FUN it is to rip and resew. ‘Cause that’s definitely what I’d end up doing.


If my math is correct (always questionable), I need 72 globes for a throw size quilt. 
 
As of tonight, I have 40 top sections sewn and an additional 24 cut and ready to snowball tomorrow. 


I’ve been planning - and collecting fabric - for this quilt for the past 2 or 3 years. So excited to see it come together at last.


* This is my quilt guild’s Front Porch Holiday Quilt Show challenge. Photos are due December 1. Can you guess what I’ll be doing all of Thanksgiving weekend??? 

1 comments:

Vickie Graham said...

What a fun project! And yes, I have always drawn the line when I've "snowballed". So much easier in the long run. Can't wait to see the finished project.