3.22.2020

Fabric Face Masks

After I posted a pattern link on FB, a friend asked if I would make some reusable fabric masks for a local nursing home (coincidentally, the same home where my FIL stayed several years ago).



The staff has almost no face masks left and orders are backlogged for 2-3 months. During a pandemic. (Don’t get me stared on how outrageous this is.)


A bit of research, a little stash busting and 2 days of work = 12 masks that will go to the nursing home tomorrow, plus 2 for a friend working in a doctor’s office. 


I’d have made more, but that’s all the elastic I had on hand. It’s sold out everywhere - I guess lots of people are making masks. Hooray! - and from what I’m hearing online, more won’t be available anytime soon. Who would have guessed that elastic and bread yeast, of all things, would disappear in the first week?

 Reversible mask

I’m hoping to start another batch tomorrow, this time with fabric ties. They will take longer but may, from what I’m reading, be more useful for medical personnel.  

0 comments: