1.07.2020

New Year, New Obsession

Now that Christmas sewing is done, I thought I was going to work on my ever-growing pile of UFO’s and the Challenge Quilt I signed up to complete by March 15. 



The challenge is still on - I resized this square 50” quilt (picture only, no pattern) down to about 27” square (quilt math for the win! yay!); in my mind, the center star is blue, with a blue border around the outside edge. Only 144 of 144 half-square triangles left to do! No pressure at all . . .

 Fat quarter bundle I bought last year

The UFO’s, however, have been pushed aside for a “have you lost your mind??" project - a year-long daily temperature quilt, made with English paper-pieced, hand-stitched diamonds. 

 2018-2019 high/low temps for my town

I stumbled over the idea on Instagram, where a group of quilters have made these for several years. One picture led to another and at 3:00 in the morning I was ordering papers, picking colors, 

downloading 2 years of weather data into Excel (once a geek, always a geek!), and telling myself it wasn’t crazy at all to hand-stitch this whole thing. 


This (not paper pieced) pic is the look I’m going for. The bottom sections of each block will show the day’s high and low temp; the top color is for sunny, cloudy or rainy weather.


I’m waiting for my papers to be shipped but everything else is in place, ready to catch up with the rest of the group. I’m excited!


1 comments:

Vickie said...

Holy cow, that temperature quilt is mind boggling!! I can hardly wait to see it.