9.28.2019

Quilt Workshop

My local quilt shop has workshops several time a year with nationally- and internationally-known quilt instructors, including Tula PinkViolet Craft (so bummed I missed that one) and today - Latifah Saafir, co-founder of both the Los Angeles and worldwide Modern Quilt Guild, and creator of some truly amazing quilt patterns. 



We had a choice of making Molehills (pictured above and below)


or Pickled Beets. Normally, I’d pick the quilt with all the curves but something about Beets kept calling me. 


So, Friday night - less than 12 hours before class started - I headed for The Stash and pulled enough Fall fabrics to fill a giant tote bag. More is always better, right??

 A few of my fabrics 

The workshop was great - Latifah is an amazing teacher - and I learned So. Much. about foundation paper piecing,


freehand rotary cutting (still kinda scary) and curved piecing/sewing. 


By the end of class, I had 2/3 of the first pieced arc done (only 6 1/3 arcs left to go!)

 

and sooooooo many ideas for more projects. Latifah lives in LA and there was already talk about having her return for another workshop, possibly featuring her Glam Clam or the brand new Callaloo quilt sampler. Can’t wait!

 Callaloo
Samples from Latifah’s show and tell - 

 Molehills

 Baby quilt based on Molehills-style curves. Love!

 Another of my favorites, a Callaloo variation

 Pickled Beets variation, Pennants

 Fast, easy and beautiful 












1 comments:

captainhook said...

Beautiful! And ooh, Callaloo! Hope she comes back to teach that one! Or clams.