2.22.2022

I Have An Excuse!

I *might* have signed up for another block-of-the-month quilty thing. I’ve got to stop following quilting links down late night rabbit holes. Every thing looks so interesting! and fun! But in my defense, this one covers several items on my to-learn-this-year list - sewing curves, improv curved piecing and foundation paper piecing. Plus, it looks cool, kinda Art Deco-y, which hubby and I both love. 



The BOM started in January, so I’ve spent the last few days playing catch-up: watching the intro lessons, picking colors and playing with some very cool color-to-fabric websites. Please tell me I’m not the last person to discover these?? 



PaletteBuilder 2.1 , by Play Crafts, lets you import a photo, select colors, and then tells you the name of the corresponding color in several different fabric lines, including Kona Cotton which I planned to use. How cool is that?!



QuiltInk lets you recolor quilt patterns using a fabric line’s actual colors (like Kona Cotton), so you can see what it will look like in the colors you are considering. The catch is that the designer has to input the pattern first and there aren’t a lot there yet. But Glitter Ball is!


Using my (still unfinished) flying geese as a starting point, ‘cause I love those colors, 


I played around 


until I came up with this. ⬇️


I like it, hubby likes it, so it was off to the fabric store to see what the colors really looked like.


I subbed Chili for out-of-stock Pimento and Rich Red for Cardinal but Spruce and Persimmon stayed. It’s not everybody’s cup of tea*, but I love these colors. Hoping my templates get here soon so I can start cutting and sewing this weekend. 


* Showed the color mock-up to a friend and her friend; her friend visibly recoiled and said, “oh no, no, no. That’s awful!” 😳😂 

1 comments:

Vickie Graham said...

Leave it to you to figure out how to use that very complicated-looking computer stuff! I am going to enjoy watching this quilt progress.