6.20.2019

Sewing Day

Leanne wanted to sew “a heart” today. She drew a heart on paper, then I showed her how to transfer, cut and fuse her design to fabric.


She machine-stitched around the heart - she already knew to leave the needle down before adjusting the fabric - and did a great job zigzagging the curves. 


I cut a backing, then she pinned the pieces, sewed them together and turned her pillow right-side out.


I started to explain using a chopstick to push the corners out but she gave me The Look and said, “I remember this, Grandma.”


She stuffed it herself and hand-stitched the last seam closed.


Leanne is pretty proud of her creation - and so am I. 


I’m especially proud that she did the whole thing herself, from concept to final stitch, except for cutting the backing fabric (rotary cutters + 8 year old = nervous grandma) and knotting the thread for her hand-stitching. It will be interesting to see what she wants to make next.

0 comments: