7.11.2008

Time Trials

Goal #2 for my Tour de France KAL is Navajo-plying a pound of Gotland singles and making a shawl before next Saturday. I love Navajo-plying, but my technique is a little rusty so I decided to do a practice run before starting on the big project.

This is about half of the 4 oz Ravelry roving, 70% merino/30% kid mohair, that I bought from Twisted Fiber Arts.
It was a joy to spin and I didn't want to muddy the colors with traditional plying. I'm pretty pleased with how this turned out. The only problem with Navajo-plying is that I end up with less yarn than a 2-ply would give me; this is a little less than 100 yards.
With the practice run out of the way, I did a quick time trial with the Gotland. I thought I'd over-spun it when I got this bit off the swift, but after a quick rinse, it hangs perfectly straight and balanced. I love the texture and the thickness. Tomorrow night I'll start plying the rest of this so it can dry by Monday night and I can start crocheting on Tuesday. No pressure.

And why am I not plying until tomorrow night?
Because I'm taking a weaving workshop that started tonight and runs through Sunday evening. Hooray for multi-projecting!

0 comments: