7.16.2008

Closing In On The Finish Line

Dick's been working on his own Tour de France challenges and finished two projects during the Tour's first week. The bottom is myrtlewood that we bought on our Oregon trip and the top is paduak; he turned, shaped, and joined two solid blocks to make this vase. Isn't it gorgeous? Dick was going to give it away as a gift but I claimed it first. It's MINE.

He's been working on Marie's hope chest for awhile, but put the finishing touches on yesterday. The top is leather;
the outer section is cherry wood, and the inside is lined with cedar. I especially love the interior sliding drawer. He does such beautiful work. And no, I'm not at all biased. Why do you ask?

Onward to my Tour de France challenges: Goal #1 - I've finished the collar, bottom band and the left front button placket.
I just need to do the right placket, seam and set-in the sleeves, weave in my ends and find the perfect buttons. I'm taking it with me to tomorrow's hair appointment so I can button shop on the way home. With any luck at all, this should be done tomorrow. The finish line is in sight!

Goal #2 - tonight I Navajo-plied the second 8-ounce bobbin of Gotland.
I'll set the twist tonight and let it dry tomorrow. The first batch, a slightly lighter gray, is finally dry; this unusually humid weather we're having is interfering with my time schedule. Fortunately, the weather forecast is for significantly less humidity starting tomorrow. But with my luck? We'll get pouring rain.

0 comments: