3.20.2007

It's a Bust

Or a learning experience. I keep reminding myself that this sweater was made totally from stash, as an experiment to see what I liked and what I didn't. But . . . . I'd convinced myself that it was going to fit and look good. sigh.

So I reclaimed the various pieces from AJ
who'd gone nuts, rolling all over them, tossing them up, crawling under them, and generally acting like I'd crocheted with catnip, blocked them out on the carpet, then sewed everything together and put on the trim, buttonholes, and one button . . . . . and it doesn't fit. I was on gauge, according to the pattern, and the sweater fits through the stomach and hips, which is where I expected problems. But I forgot that my shoulders are bigger than "normal"; I've always had problems with jackets not fitting properly.
Dick says this would look nice on someone who was less "statuesque". See why I love that man?

So, what did I learn?

  • I like the shell stitch the designer used; it's very pretty and doesn't look too crochet-y.
  • I like the set-in sleeves, but next time I need to allow more room in the armhole and extra width across the shoulders.
  • Fitted sleeves are nice but these were too tight. I like more ease.
  • Boxy designs are not flattering for me, especially if made with a moderately stiff yarn. (This was Lion Brand Wool-Ease, chosen strictly because I had five skeins of it in my stash. And I ended up needing every yard.)
  • Sewing everything together and doing the finish work takes every bit as long as crocheting all the pieces. I thought I'd never finish.
  • I learned I want to make another sweater. Anybody have a pattern they'd recommend?

0 comments: