10.09.2026

A Tale of Two Cats

I was going to title this ‘my cat is an AH’ but I’m starting to see the humor. 

Coco always greets us whenever we come downstairs. She wants treats and she’s noisy about it. So when she didn’t appear on Thursday, we started looking. I could hear faint cries when I called but couldn’t pinpoint the sound. Checked the living room camera and the last time she appeared was Tuesday evening. We searched a few hours, then called the fire department hoping they had heat imaging cameras (they didn’t) but they searched for a while too.   

Finally called Gary, since maybe younger ears could pinpoint her cries better. His reaction? ‘I know exactly where she is.’ He stuck his head through the attic access, flashed his laser pointer into the nether regions, and sure enough, guess whose head popped up then disappeared again. (See red arrow above.) Turns out this happens regularly on his HVAC calls - cats love attics. He also found where she climbed the wood studs in our bedroom and gained access by ripping the plastic covering where the ceiling used to be. ⬇️

Gary said cats always come down eventually - the four fire guys said the same thing about cats and trees - so he shoved a board in so she wouldn’t have to walk on insulation to get back. Then we put a toy, food, water and a ladder by the attic entry and walked away. ⬇️

I went back an hour later and bingo! she was sitting on the edge like nothing had happened. Grabbed her by the scruff of the neck and wrestled her down the 10’ ladder. Was she grateful? Heck no. She was looking for a way back up before Pop finished taping off all access to construction zones. 

The reason for the urgency in finding her? 

We were leaving at o-dark-thirty the next morning to take Ginger to live with Leia in Arizona. Leia and her college roommates wanted a cat… Ginger was not happy in a 2-cat household (she still refused to come out of the upstairs bedroom)… so Ginger got her first plane ride. 

Remember in July when G took a week to stop hiding in the closet and let me pet her the first time? 

Yeah, she’s rubbing against Leia tonight, demanding cuddles, and establishing herself as queen of the world. I’m so happy for both of them. 

 Spot the scary ghost cat

A story..

Me: Did you get the cat box and litter? (I’d sent her a list of kitty must-haves.)

Leia: Nooooo, I’ll get it tomorrow…

Me: … … get your shoes. Where’s the nearest pet store? (G had been crated almost 12 hours by then.)

Ginger: Ahhhhhhh

 Leia text: ‘She found the toilet.’



0 comments: