11.29.2008

Graydogs

I've been collecting antique, unusual or finely made crochet hooks for several years. One of the few non-antique wood hooks (because I like the ones Dick makes better than any I can find on Ebay or Etsy) I covet are Graydogs (ebay link; check here too.) I have a fairly extensive collection of Bill's hooks in exotic woods - before I retired I was trying to get one in each hook size, both 'regular' and 'steel' - but they can get pricey, especially this time of year when the bidding goes crazy on Ebay. More than a few times I've seen his hooks go for over $100.

In addition to crochet hooks, Bill also does barrettes and needle/toothpick holders from hardwoods. Wenona got me hooked (sorry!) on his needle holders
last year after she bought one for a gift. I've been watching and bidding for about a month now but no luck so far.

But what I did win was two hook auctions. The first is an "H" hook in purpleheart, red palm and "Joseph's Coat" hardwoods.
My photo is really crummy so here's the one from the auction:
The second is a "J" hook in purpleheart, walnut, maple and ebony hardwoods.
Absolutely gorgeous.

These are 'plain' hooks - no fancy flame ends (like the $100 one linked above) or curlicues - which is probably why I got them at an affordable price. And unlike my previous purchases, I plan to use these as everyday hooks rather than saving them for 'special'. Can't wait to show these off at crochet class this week.

0 comments: