11.01.2007

Weaving Update

When we last saw my current weaving project, I was awaiting Commander Woodshop's assistance with a broken warp tie on the back beam. He came up with this - 2 five-pound weights hanging from a carabiner - which was good but still didn't hold the warp threads taunt when I beat the weft. I finally admitted that I was going to have to release the tension, unwind the warp, fashion a new tie and re-tie that bundle of threads. Which took all of about 30 seconds. Can you tell I'm a new weaver? I spent an hour or more trying to find ways around a task that took less than a minute to accomplish. Oh well, live and learn.

Once the re-tying was done, I realized the tension on that side of the warp had been slipping for awhile. You can see the wave-like effect on the left, and how it is significantly out of line with the rest of the weaving.
I found another bullet to bite and unwove, then re-wove about 2". Much better.

It took just a couple of hours to finish weaving, hemming, and removing the project off the loom. These shots were taken before I wove in the ends, washed and blocked it.
It's a table runner, about 13" x 30", with a different pattern on each side. The side that faced me as I wove, that I thought would be the 'right' side, is not as pretty as the 'wrong' side. And for the experienced weavers out there - that different band about halfway down? I'm calling it a design decision.

*Accident update: I decided not to go to the doctor; I've got some achy muscles and a couple of really pretty bruises, but nothing more significant, so far. If I'm still sore - or something else develops - I'll call him next week.

Dick definitely got the worst of the deal; he went to the doctor this afternoon. He's got a cut on his nose, some deep bruising, and pain in his side where he hit the console between the seats. And the shoulder belt may have done more than just bruise his shoulder; the doctor wants him to have x-rays on Monday. We're still hoping that time will heal all our owwies and we won't need medical intervention, other than some muscle relaxants. Cross your fingers!

All in all, we were both incredibly lucky. So remember - WEAR YOUR SEATBELT. And if you have the option of side-impact airbags? One of the best investments you may ever make.

0 comments: