9.11.2006

New Passion

I seldom get obsessed with new things. (Y'all stop laughing. It's not that funny.) So OK, maybe a little obsessive. My latest passion is this: Nope, not a doily. A dishrag. If you read knitting & fiber blogs, you already know how popular handmade - especially knitted - dishcloths are right now. They have achieved a cult-like status. Wild colors, intricate patterns, all to clean dishes and wipe counters.

I don't usually feel the urge to make things just because they are "the rage". But I was at Michael's. With a 50% off coupon burning a hole in my pocket. And I saw this:

It probably wouldn't have registered on my radar if I hadn't read so much recently about dishrags. Knitted and woven and crocheted dishrags. White and variegated and mitered dishrags. So I picked it up, just to look at the pictures. Nothing more. No intention of buying it. Right. The book and 3 balls of kitchen cotton followed me home. And in just a couple of hours turned themselves into the dishcloth doily. And it was fun.

Dick was amazed that I would allow it to be used for dishes. So amazed, in fact, that I changed my mind. It might be used for dishes . . . . but not at my house. I have a special plan for this one. But I'm not telling what it is. Y'all will just have to wait. (grin)

So then I did this one.
Pretty colors. Pretty pattern. But not so much fun. Really don't like the way it turned out. But did I let that stop me? Yeah, right. On the way home tonight, I bought 9 more balls of cotton. Gotta make dishcloths!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bring your book on Wed so I can look at it. Knitted/crocheted dishcloths....that's what we've been giving as gifts for our monthly visits. I've just been using the standard pattern. I just might have to buy that book. :)

Cherizac said...

They do look cute. And I have to agree with your assessment of the second one! But the first is realy pretty and something I may just have to make!