1.08.2007

Square Deal

The beginning crochet class went well. At least, I think it did. Nobody walked out so I'm thinking positive. The four students range from one who has crocheted before and wants to learn to read patterns, to two 'normal' beginners, and one knitter who just can't get the hang of holding the hook in one hand and the yarn in another. The middle two students each made it through the chain, single and half double crochet stitches. Lois thought they wouldn't make it past single crochet, so I'm very happy with the progress.

By the end of the two hour class, my knitter was still on the chain stitch. I tried explaining it several different ways, with no luck, so I gave her links to how-to videos on the web; I'm hoping that helps.
She's a quilter and learning crochet only so she can make rag rugs. If I can get her through the chain and single crochet stitches, I think she'll be happy.

In FO news, I finished the first two squares for the block-a-month class I'm co-teaching. This is Cabled Hearts by Chris Simon, done in Queensland Collection's Kathmandu Aran (85% merino, 10% silk, 5% cashmere). I love this yarn - it has a silky feel and is a pleasure to work with.

The second one - which I think will be April's block - is Mandala, also by Chris Simon.
Chris was kind enough to allow us to use her patterns in the class. Thanks, Chris! I made this sample with two strands of Rowan Felted Tweed. Not crazy about the yarn; it's very pretty, but scratchy and made my hands feel dried out. Don't think I'd use it again.

If you're looking for 12" square patterns, be sure to check Chris's website. Her blocks are beautiful and the patterns are well written. I especially like Waldo's Puzzle and Supernova.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! It sounds as though your teaching experience went very well. (neat feeling when someone 'gets it') Those blocks of the month are gorgeous! :) v

Cherizac said...

You've been tagged! See my blog for details.