1.29.2009

Another Doily Rug

I seem to be addicted to making doily rugs. This one is Doily #8 (super descriptive name, yes?) from '99 Little Doilies' by Patricia Kristoffersen. I've been thinking of teaching a crocheted rug class in the Fall. I need to use a yarn offered by my LYS; the only one bulky enough to work - without holding multiple strands together - is Burly Spun from Brown Sheep Company. So tonight I gave in to temptation and bought a skein (I couldn't resist this color. It's 'Bing Cherry' and arrived in the store just today; they hadn't even unpacked or priced it before I claimed one for myself.) I finished this a little over two hours after getting home. The doily pattern called for 46 yards of size 10 crochet cotton and a 1.65 mm (size 7) steel crochet hook. I used 132 yards of Burly Spun and a 8 mm (size "L") hook. I left off the last row of picots - didn't think the rug needed them - and ended up with a rug that's about 21" in diameter.

Now I have a starting point to plan my class. One skein of thick yarn + big a** crochet hook + simple coaster (or doily) pattern = quick, fun class. Yeah, this just might work.

1 comments:

jkaymac said...

What a great idea. I've always wanted to do doilies, but my hand always starts cramping up when I use #10 thread.