5.12.2008

Weaving Workshop

The workshop is over and my sample is off the loom. It's about 9" by 24" and has a bit of almost every technique Jason taught. I have some usable warp still on the loom, but I couldn't wait to cut this off and see what it looked like. I'm going to try to tie the remaining warp back on and weave another small sample. Linen warp is fairly expensive; don't want to waste it if I can help it.

This morning we learned Meet and Separate and Compensated Inlay.
The sample I made of Compensated Inlay (above) is based on a piece Jason showed us. I love the optical illusion and geometric elements. I'm going to try this again when I get back home.

The afternoon was devoted to finishing techniques. I practiced more twining -
a decorative method of starting and ending a woven piece - and watched Jason demonstrate at least 15 different methods of weft/warp protection and finishing. None of which I'll probably remember tomorrow (except the Half Damascus - that was the first one and the one I liked best). My brain was definitely in overload by that point. But now I know the possibilities and can look up the techniques when I'm ready to use them.

Here are pictures of some of the samples I want to remember and/or try to duplicate. Various decorative twinings -
another compensated inlay with crossed wefts in contrary motion - and cross stripes with aligned dots and solid borders. This one's tricky but not hard once you see how it's done. Tomorrow we're sleeping in - this getting up at what would be 5 a.m. California time is a pain - and then we're off to S. Dakota. Hooray!

0 comments: