11.17.2007

D**n Gauge

I've started a new sweater. I chose a yarn that is the same gauge as the one listed in the pattern. I swatched. Went down a needle size. Swatched again. Got gauge. Started the sweater. Ripped out and started again because I can't count to 4. (counted to 5 instead.) Got 7 rows done and measured the piece.

It is 3 inches too wide. Should be 22.5 but is actually 25.5.

So my question is - should I go down another hook size (to an "F")? I did yet another swatch and I'm getting stitch gauge with this hook but not row gauge - the rows are too short (blocking would probably take care of this.) Would the fabric be too stiff? It's a pull-over sweater that's meant to be worn over a shirt or blouse.

Or

Should I make the next size down, using the same hook I'm using now? I measured and if I use the 'medium' instructions it measures spot on for the 'large' size. Should I just go with the schematics and not worry about gauge?

Help?!?!?

The pattern is Fall Forward from Crocheted Sweaters: Simple Stitches, Great Designs by Susan Huxley. I can't find a link to a photo.

0 comments: