10.27.2007

Indecision

Poor little naked loom. I'd planned to spend the day weaving. My weaving area is cleaned up; the visiting loom and other weaving stuff I'd been storing for the guild is gone, sold at last Saturday's sale. All I need do is find a project and get going. Instead, I've spent all day stalling and making excuses to avoid starting. Vacuuming, cleaning the cat boxes (I'll spare you a photo), laundry - apparently even housecleaning is better than making a decision.

Weaving is different from knitting and crochet. With those two, you find a project you like, buy the pattern and yarn, pick up the sticks, and get to work. If you're a beginner - like I am with weaving - you follow the directions pretty much to the letter and you end up with something that, hopefully, looks like the pattern.

With weaving, there are too many variables. No patterns per se. I have multiple cones of yarn but - of course - none of it is what I need for the projects I like in Handwoven or the weaving books I've spent the evening perusing. I think - maybe - I've found what I'm going to make. It's now 11:30 at night, too late to start the project . . . . want to bet by morning I've changed my mind again? I'm practically paralyzed with indecision. This is ridiculous.

On a happier note, I started a new crochet project. This is Short and Sweet
from Debbie Stoller's Happy Hooker book using Cascade Ecological Wool and an "H" hook. Once I found the errata and diagram on the designer's blog, this started going together nicely. The stitch pattern is thick - lots of front and back-post stitches. This is going to be one warm sweater.

0 comments: