7.09.2007

I signed up for the Tour de France KAL (knit along) even though I've never watched the Tour and I'm not a cycling fan. Or wasn't. I watched yesterday (last second sprint-from-behind finish) and today (20+ rider pile-up less than 3 km from the finish) - and I think I'm hooked. And I've gotten Dick hooked too. He recorded today's session so he could watch it when he got back from his doctor's appointment.

Not only am I enjoying the cycling and the little factoids I'm learning, but the TV coverage is also a great travelogue. Who knew Belgium was so gorgeous, with such stunning castles and chateaus? It's moved into the top 5 on my 'must visit' list.

So, am I knitting during the Tour coverage? Um, well, no. At least not yet. My goal is to finish the lace washcloth I started in class. But lace pattern + new knitter = not in front of the TV, especially when the race gets exciting. I will get the lace done by the end of the Tour. I'll just work on it at night rather than in during teevee time.

Today, I did this -
started warping the loom for a huck lace towel sampler. (You can see a description and picture of one type of huck here.) I have 250 ends (pieces of yarn) to thread through the heddles (the white string things). I got 125 of them done during today's Tour coverage.

The next 125 are going to take me awhile . . . cause I goofed up. I used 40-something heddles for the right half of the warp (on the first harness), so I need 40-something for the left side. But I only have 27 threaded on there. Yeah. I can't count for beans. I think I can take some off one of the other harnesses and put them on #1. We'll find out soon. Cross your fingers for me!

0 comments: