12.15.2006

Something Old, Something New

The house is all dressed for the holidays. When the kids were small, I'd start bugging Dick the day after Thanksgiving for us to get a tree and put up our decorations. Now that they're older, I'm in less of a hurry; some years I don't want to do the decorations at all. But Dick is a traditionalist - decorating for Christmas is a must.

In the yard, Santa presides over California snow
(no, not the illegal kind - a white plastic tarp) and skiing teddy bears. Inside, the tree has place of honor, just inside the front door. This is the first year we've gotten a Noble fir; we usually cut our own Douglas fir at a local tree farm. Matt's officer's association is selling trees to raise money for various causes, so we bought from them this year. I really like the Noble. I think we'll be getting those from now on.

Each year we try to add one or two things to our holiday collection. This year was blown glass ornaments and this wreath that Gary made in his florist class.
We also have our older favorites - a porcelain Santa that Carolyn hand-painted for us over 25 years ago. Santa doesn't get packed up with the other decorations after the holidays. He has his own special place - the top shelf of my closet, securely padded with blankets. I really love this jolly old guy.

And Santa's best reindeer.
This one was painted by Vickie, also about 25 years ago. (Man, I'm feeling old.) The kids always liked taking Rudy apart and (occasionally) putting him back together again. It isn't Christmas until Rudy is standing by the fireplace.

And just so you don't think I'm the least talented of the Sisters "P", (I am; Vickie & Carolyn are phenomenal artists) I painted this many years ago before I fell under the spell of all things fiber and gave up tole painting.
And my favorite holiday philosophy. Merry Christmas!

0 comments: