9.17.2006

Lots of Changes

The countdown has begun for Rachel's baby shower. She's arriving on September 29, with the shower on the 30th. She'll be here for Dick's birthday on Sunday and then head back to Colorado on Monday. Dick is determined to have the closet, sitting room, family room and - maybe, just maybe - the entry hall done before she arrives. So while I've been volunteering at PSI headquarters (Yes on P6!), Dick has been working 9-10 hours a day on the remodel.

It fascinates me how he 'manages' the different projects. He'll plaster a wall in the family room so it can dry while he cements tile in the sitting room so it can dry while he builds cabinets in the hallway. He carries a master plan around in his brain and knows exactly what needs to be done next and how the pieces all fit together. It's amazing.

And things are really coming together. In the sitting room, the beadboard is on the walls and the porcelain floor tiles are going down. I love these tiles - they have swirls of red and purple in them (and they were on sale! yeah!) - and they look completely different at different times of day as the light changes. (The colors in the bottom photo are more accurate; the tiles are a dark gray with swirls of color.)

The old hardwood flooring is out of the family room, the wallpaper border is off the wall (my job. yuck.), and the old window opening is reframed & plastered. Tomorrow, Dick is planning to start painting the walls and by Wednesday (Thursday?) he should be ready to start laying the floor tiles.

But it's the little things about the remodel that I most love. You may remember my excitement at finally - finally! - having a guest bathroom. I'm even more excited this time. When we walled off the original door to our bedroom, the plan was to put in a larger linen closet.
Well, the closet is done (except for the doors) . . . but it's not for linens. Dick set it up to store the mounds and piles and bins upon bins of photos and memorabilia that I'm planning to scrapbook. someday. A Whole Closet. Five shelves. All for me. The paint is drying (my job - I get all the 'unskilled' labor jobs.) and by tomorrow I should be able to stash my photo stash. I can't wait!!!

Yarn Tails Tags:,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

simply amazing. I am in awe!

Anonymous said...

The accomplishments are a DOUBLE WOW!! You, both, blow me away.
:) v